The Lincoln Highway Bridge marks the old Lincoln Highway which took early travelers through Tama-Toledo. Selected in 1913 to become a section of America's first transcontinental highway traveling from New York to California, it was one of the oldest highways in the State of Iowa. It followed the Chicago and Northwestern Railroad from Clinton to Council Bluffs. The primary purpose of the highway, at the time, was to run through as many towns as possible.
During the years between 1919 and 1928, the Lincoln highway passed through Tama on Fifth Street where the Lincoln Highway Bridge is located at the corner of Highway 30 and 5th Street. From there it went to Siegel Street, then north to Ninth Street, west to Harding Street and onto 13th Street, then continued west out of the corporate limits. The Lincoln Highway not only traveled west but traveled north on Park Street, which is now Highway 63, into Toledo. In Toledo the highway turned west at Ross Street, to Montour and then LeGrand.
The bridge in Tama is one of the few remaining original structures on the Highway. There is also a original Lincoln Highway marker located in front of Tama's public library (downtown Tama) and another at Toledo Heights Park. These concrete markers were placed by Boy Scouts at one-mile intervals along the highway.
Old US 30Tama, IA 52339 41° 57' 49.644" N, 92° 33' 44.082" W